Yes, it is safe to have the mercury fillings removed, as long as the procedure is done by a licensed dental practitioner. If you have concerns about your amalgam fillings, get mercury amalgam removal near you.
Amalgam or silver fillings have been used by dentists for more than a century now. These fillings are made of mercury mixed with other metals like silver, copper, and tin. Mercury is added to make the fillings more pliable during the application process. But, once it hardens, it becomes strong and resistant to damage.
Although the American Dental Association has verified the amalgam fillings as safe, there have been raising concerns about their safety in the long term. That is why most dentists are turning away from silver fillings and opting for non-mercury fillings.
Mercury is a toxic mineral that is known to cause damage to the nerve, renal, and cardiovascular systems. It is reported that the fillings contain about 50 percent of mercury and the rest is the other metals.
These filings are believed to release a small amount of mercury and even more when you chew. When the fillings are damaged, the amount released is significant. That is why you are advised to visit the dentist in 21042 for an assessment when you recognize that the filling is chipped.
Not unless they are damaged. Yes, the amalgam fillings release small amounts of mercury. But, people are exposed to mercury in numerous ways, like eating certain types of seafood.
Removing fillings that are not damaged can cause harm and even expose you to more mercury content. If your silver fillings are not cracked or presence of decay, they are best left alone. But, it is important to work with your dentist to monitor the condition of the fillings.
You can, however, have the fillings removed if you are allergic to amalgam fillings. Although allergies are rare, they can occur. It is important to alert the dentist if you suspect you have an allergic reaction. The dentist will evaluate the symptoms to determine if removal is necessary.
All dental fillings are susceptible to damage, including amalgam ones. These filings can develop:
When you have damaged fillings, you will experience sensitivity and toothache. You may also feel sharp edges on your tongue. If you are experiencing any of these problems, visit a dentist near you for an assessment and treatment.
It is important to have regular dental visits to examine your fillings to check for any damage and also to ensure you do not have mercury exposure.
Many people do not realize when fillings are damaged until it’s too late. The best way for the dentist to detect the problem early is to have your routine dental assessment every six months.
We have non-mercury fillings that you can choose from like:
Visit our dentist office near you at Julian Center for Comprehensive Dentistry if you are concerned about your dental fillings and would like to have them removed.